Personal Care Support

Personal Care is support that you need to complete day-to-day activities and tasks as a result of a Disability. Day-to-day activities may include:

  • Cooking 
  • Cleaning
  • Washing and personal hygiene
  • Socialising
  • Shopping
If you need support with day-to-day activities such as these to enable you to live independently, you would benefit from an assessment to establish the level of support that can be provided.

When you are studying at University, personal care support should be provided from your home Social Services department, This is the local authority where you are 'ordinarily resident' or where you feel that you have the strongest ties. You can search for your Social Services department on the following website:

Disability Rights UK

It can take a long time to arrange personal care support (it can take up to a year) so we recommend that you contact your Social Services department as soon as you are able to.

Unfortunately there is no funding available for non-UK students to assist with personal care support. Personal care support can be expensive in the UK, so you are advised to ensure that you have sufficient funding in place before arriving at University.